Wednesday, 3 November 2010

Ritual in the Wasteland... and similar togography of displacement...

Continuing on from a similar vein in my previous second and first year projects- though this time concentrating more upon the formulation of text and narrative structure than the fantastical metaphors of creative writing- I am going to continue 'navigating the imaginary landscape of my displacement' until a destination is reached.

However, throughout this year I intend to complement this narrative exploration with more in-depth visual experiments; focusing not only upon the linguistic formulation of text but the metaphorical situation of text placement and understanding.

I see my fascination with text and narrative structure as the encapsulation of my need for ritualistic process... the need to contemplate fantasy in reality in relation to self-realisation and understanding... a narrative journey in search of purification, cleansing, forgiveness, reconciliation, ceremony... rite of passage... manifesting into physical (and at times mundane, yet obsessive) actions which reflect these ritual considerations.
Using the visual stimulant of alphabet letters- as a means for bringing a three-dimensional installation into my narrative habits- I will use ritualistic processes particularly to allegorically and metaphorically explore topics of interest which reflect my preoccupation with ritual; and contribute to the allusion of 'wasteland' which figures predominantly in my conceptual artistic practice.

Religion and narrative discrepancy, use and misuse of the Allegorical, Apocalyptic landscape, Romanticism and the Enlightenment, Postmodern Narrative techniques, Questioning identity and social paradigms, Depression and the mental psyche, Fantasy and the Real, Unknown and the Terror of the Sublime, The Anti-Hero and ulterior motives, Loss and Replacement, Action and Consequence, Stream of consciousness and inner-monologue, the concept of Sin and Redemption, and Rite of Passage... to name a few examples, are particular themes of interest in both my practical and conceptual ideas... and will be considered within my creative writing and visual experiments throughout the year.

For once I am quite unsure of the complete direction in which my project is going, or of its end product and destination; but I am attempting to enjoy this uncertainty and work with it... journeying into the unknown regions of my displacement to discover new realisations and conceptual wanderings...

No comments:

Post a Comment